Thursday, July 26, 2012

Cancer Face


 The last thing I would have ever wanted to be was the face of cancer. Seriously, I take a lot of pride in being healthy, even now when asked about my health I still say I'm an extremely healthy person ... ...with cancer. Health defined me, it's a part of my identity. So how do I live with cancer and still believe I am healthy?


It's been two and a half years since I was diagnosed with stage 3c ovarian cancer, a rare and aggressive form known as Malignant Mixed Müllerian Tumor (MMMT). I had 7 long months of treatment and 8 months following of dancing with (NED) No Evidence of Disease before the cancer metastasised to my bones and a small spot on my liver.


So here I am, still believing that I'm healthy........


I've learned to redefine healthy for me. I don't train for marathons anymore, but I go on short runs and long walks with my dog (William) daily. I found prayer and meditation contributes to a healthier life. I juice more and drink less wine. I've learned to enjoy every day as gift and live one single day at a time. It's an odd thing to say, but somehow I believe cancer made me healthier, mentally, spiritually, even physically.


This is my blog....my story.....The good, the bad, the ugly of becoming the healthier cancer face that I am today.


More to come.............................................................



















4 comments:

  1. Beautifully written! All my best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad you decided to do this blog... it is perfectly written.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful Joli, you are beautiful. You are always in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you for being such an inspiration to me.

    ReplyDelete